or let the flowers talk
Beautiful centerpiece flowers make the difference between "ho-hum" and "extraordinary".
When hosting a luncheon, a dinner party, or a casual backyard BBQ, centerpieces will add
color and flair to your gathering. You can experiment with containers, flowers, and design
to create centerpieces that will please both you and your guests.
There are certain design rules you should try to follow but remember, if you like
something, do it!
Be creative and have fun! Be thrifty by finding fun and unusual containers at garage
sales, thrift shops, and even your grandma’s attic!
Buy flowers locally or grow your own to have them available when you need them. Of course if
you aren't "into" creating centerpieces you can order them online in many different styles and
- Create centerpieces so you can see (and talk to) the person who sits
on the other side of the table
- To prolong the life of flowers, keep them out of direct sunlight and
make sure the room is well ventilated.
- Work with odd numbers of flowers - try not to break this design rule!
- Remove leaves below the water level-this will deter bacteria growth.
- Always cut flowers with a sharp knife or pair of scissors-cut stems
diagonally to get them as much water as possible.
- Pay attention to the water-change every few days. To keep your flowers
fresh add a few drops of bleach to rid water of bacteria, 2 aspirins, and
a teaspoon of sugar to a quart of water.
- While creating your arrangement, turn it and view it from all sides to ensure balance.
- Select different textures and heights to add interest to your arrangement.
- Determine the vase/container you will use before purchasing or gathering your
flowers. This will be a time and money saver!
- Decide placement of arrangement before making as it will helpful for determining
design. (tall, wide, short etc.)
- Depending on the type of arrangement, flowers can be kept in place by using
floral foam, flower frogs, or clear waterproof tape made into a grid at the top
of the container.
- You can use potted plants and flowers for a fast and easy solution.
- Above all EXPERIMENT and have fun – this will help you find your own personal style!